There are certain side dishes that go hand-in-hand with the Thanksgiving turkey: mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes (or yams), stuffing, and green bean casserole. This recipe is for a lighter take on the latter with a cream sauce made from vegetable stock, yogurt, and whole milk.
Green beans contain beta-carotene and omega 3s, which help to fight inflammation as well as numerous vitamins including A, B1, B6, and E. Mushrooms meanwhile boast high levels of vitamin D, and according to certain studies, have been shown to boost your immune system. And while this dish is comprised of many healthy ingredients, it still tastes very rich and indulgent – just as a holiday side should!
Green Beans with Homemade Cream of Mushroom Sauce (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped (go for an assortment of Cremini and Shitake if you can)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, with the leaves removed from the stems
- 2 tablespoons white flour OR whole wheat flour
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into halves or thirds, depending on size
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan set over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and cook until lightly browned, and the water has mostly evaporated.
- Add the shallots to the pan, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- If using, pour in the wine, scraping any brown bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle in the flour and allow it to ‘toast’ for a minute or so.
- Slowly stir in the vegetable stock, and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the liquid is heated through, and the gravy slightly thickened.
- Whisk in the milk, yogurt, and nutmeg.
- Add the beans to the pan, and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes (or longer, if you want the beans to be softer!), just until everything is warm and the beans turn a bright green color.
- Serve immediately.
Are you going to try this spin on the holiday favorite?