One key component of abiding by an anti-inflammatory diet is to incorporate as many colorful fruits and vegetables on your plate as possible. Orange vegetables like sweet potatoes and dark leafy greens like kale are particularly beneficial on account of the high vitamin content contained in each; this sweet potato and crispy kale tostadas recipe just so happens to include both!
Sweet potato and crispy kale tostadas recipe (serves 2-4)
Once the tostadas are piled high with roasted vegetables, they are topped with a Brussels sprout slaw, toasted coconut, creamy yogurt, and fresh mint. Both yogurt and mint have anti-inflammatory properties, as well as cooling properties, so feel free to be liberal with the garnishes as the temperatures rise!
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 6-8 stems kale, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 10-12 Brussels sprouts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Corn tortillas
- Dried coconut (optional)
- Fresh chopped mint (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil and cayenne pepper. Meanwhile, place the kale on a separate foil-lined baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil and salt. Place both pans in the oven. Roast the kale for approximately 5-10 minutes until the edges are crisp, but not browned. Remove and set aside while the sweet potatoes continue to cook. Roast the sweet potatoes for approximately 35-40 minutes until tender.
- While the potatoes and kale cook, toss the Brussels sprouts with the lime juice and honey.
- Place the corn tortillas (as many as you like!), on a piece of tin foil and place in the warm oven for approximately 2-3 minutes just until lightly toasted.
- To make the tostadas: Place sweet potatoes and crispy kale on a tortilla. Top with the Brussels sprout slaw, a drizzle of yogurt, toasted coconut, and mint, if desired.
Are you going to try this sweet potato and crispy kale tostadas recipe?