This month we are focusing on stress at Pain Doctor. This got me thinking, “What are some of the top signs of stress?” I’m sure that when I throw my phone at the ground, wall and sometimes the furniture, after another Yankee loss (it’s gonna be a tough year in the Bronx) that’s a good indicator that my favorite baseball team is stressing me out.
But Yankee baseball aside, what could be causing stress in peoples lives? Google pointed me to an article written by the Huffington Post. The article went in-depth on the symptoms of stress. They had thirteen signs of stress, but these five jumped out at me:
Top Signs of Stress
- I Don’t Want to Get out of Bed: This is a big one for me. When I have a ton on my plate, I just want to hit the snooze button and pretend it will all just go away. Inevitably though, I need to get up and face the world and my challenges.
- I Have Back Pain: This one jumped out at me because my wife, who has a very demanding job, has recently been suffering from some low back pain. She thinks it’s due to a work out from months ago, but it just started flaring up recently when she has been under a lot of stress. It makes sense that her stress could be causing the pain.
- My Shoulder Starts Aching: Interesting because it seems like my shoulder, knees, feet, toes and many different body parts just ache when I have a lot to do and am under high stress. You don’t think about these things until you reflect.
- I Get Grumpy: This goes hand in hand with hitting snooze on the alarm. I get very short and irritated easily when I am under a lot of stress. This one is right down my alley, much to my wife’s chagrin.
- I Wake Up in the Middle of the Night: I know this affects both me and my wife. This one includes tossing and turning and not being able to sleep. When I have a big presentation or have a lot going on it seems like my mind races and I simply cannot sleep. I’m sure this feeds into grumpiness, not wanting to get out of bed, and aches and pain, creating a chain reaction.
Sleep and distressing is essential to living a happy healthy life. Many experts recommend breathing, working out and relaxation to help with stress. Everyone deals with it in his or her own way.
What are some of your signs of stress? In the comments below, finish this sentence: I know I am stressed when …