If your resolution this year is to exercise more, to eat a healthier diet, to maintain an anti-inflammatory lifestyle, or to simplify your morning routine, then this recovery smoothie recipe is for you! It is filled with protein-rich, inflammation-fighting, and easily digestible ingredients.
Greek yogurt recovery smoothie (makes 1 large smoothie or 2 regular-size)
While a healthful choice any time, this smoothie is particularly beneficial in the recovery period immediately after a workout. Following a workout, the muscles in your body will begin to use available protein to rebuild. This process takes place over a period of several hours but will be the most intense in the first 10-15 minutes post-exercise.
Feel free to swap in alternate berries here if you prefer (raspberries, strawberries, etc.), and to blend all of the ingredients together the night before you plan to drink them. Refrigerate and enjoy this recovery smoothie recipe first thing in the morning as an energizing breakfast, after you get your sweat on, or any other time of day as a fortifying snack!
- 1 cup nut milk of choice, such as almond milk, cashew milk, etc.
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup packed baby spinach
- ¼ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon nut butter of choice, such as almond butter, peanut butter, etc.
- (Optional toppings) pinch of ground cinnamon or cardamom, pistachios, or bee pollen
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and pulse until smooth.
What are your favorite post-workout snacks or smoothie recipes?