Feeling like you need a pick-me-up? Try snacking on a carrot – sometimes referred to as “Nature’s Energy Food” – or try making this easy roasted carrot recipe at home!
Carrots contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals that as a whole can help to improve our vision, strengthen our immune systems, and keep us fueled throughout the day. Carrots are virtually guilt-free from a caloric standpoint, with the majority of the already low calorie count stemming from carbohydrates, AKA the main source of energy for our bodies. This preparation uses metabolism-boosting spices, and a tiny bit of sweetener to bring out the inherent sweetness in carrots. Serve these as an accompaniment with your favorite lean protein and a green salad, for a healthy complete meal.
Spice-Roasted Carrots (Serves 1-2)
- 10-12 whole carrots, with tops removed, rinsed and peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses OR maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this is optional, but will make your cleanup much easier!), and place the carrots on it in a single layer.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and drizzle the mixture over the carrots.
- Place the carrots in the oven, and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
What’s your favorite way to eat carrots?