When it comes to shortcuts in the kitchen, a store-bought rotisserie chicken is a cook’s best friend. You can serve the chicken as-is for dinner one night and shred any leftover meat to use in this version of Chicken and Dumplings for dinner on the following night!
In addition to the pre-made chicken, this recipe utilizes a biscuit baking mix to ensure that the prep is even simpler. As a result, you can have the whole meal on the table in less than 30 minutes!
In addition to being easy to prepare, this recipe is very versatile. Feel free to use any vegetables or herbs that you might have in your refrigerator (add the vegetables to the butter and the herbs at the end of the cooking process), or omit them altogether and simply warm the stock and shredded chicken, and top with the dumpling mixture. This one works any way you like it!
Simple Chicken and Dumplings (Serves 4)
- 2 cups biscuit (or pancake) baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (from a store-bought rotisserie chicken or pre-made)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup frozen peas (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix and the milk. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the butter and cook for approximately 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked chicken and stock to the pan, and bring to a gentle boil.
- If using, add the peas to the chicken mixture.
- Using a tablespoon, drop a spoonful at a time of the biscuit mixture into the pan. Repeat until you have used all of the biscuit mixture. Cover and simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes, just until the dumplings are cooked through. Serve immediately.
How would you serve this recipe?