If you need to add some excitement to your typical smoothie preparation, try roasting your fruit before putting it into the blender! Roasting the fruit will heighten the flavor profile and make it both sweeter and more concentrated. This is also a great method to utilize in the dead of winter when fruits like berries are not in peak season, and can use some extra oomph.
As for this recipe, strawberries work well here, but blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or your favorite combination thereof would be fantastic too! All of the above contain antioxidants that are beneficial to fighting environmental stresses. Since berries are high in water content as well, they will keep you hydrated and feeling full – both before and after a sweat session!
Roasted Berry Smoothie (Serves 2)
For the roasted berries:
- 4 cups hulled and chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup milk of your choice (regular milk or nut milk will work!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana
- Optional toppings: cocoa nibs, coconut flakes, fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the roasted berries: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the berries on the baking sheet. Drizzle the honey over the top. Toss the mixture to coat. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until the berries have started to crisp at the edges and are “bleeding” juices onto the pan. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the smoothie: Place the berries in a blender with milk, vanilla extract, and banana. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Have you ever roasted berries?