Have a surplus of apples hanging around? Put them to good use by making a batch of super simple and healthful apple chips! An apple a day really does keep the doctor away as apples boost your immune system, are rich in flavonoids linked to the prevention of certain cancers, help to reduce cholesterol and make your heart stronger, all while whitening your teeth.
Keeping a stash of these chips around is a surefire way to make sure you get your daily dose! While the recipe below will make about four servings, you can make as many as you like, and feel free to go crazy with the spices too. The only “effort” involved here is slicing…otherwise, this is a set it and forget it (for two hours!) type of recipe.
Oven-Dried Cinnamon Apple Chips
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 4 red apples (such as Paula Red, McIntosh, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Thinly slice the apples (The thinner the better, here!), using a sharp knife or a mandolin. Remove any seeds.
- Place the slices in a single layer, on the baking sheets and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for approximately 2 hours, until the chips are crisp. Remove from oven, and once cool, store in an airtight container.
What are your favorite ways to prepare apples?