Chocolate is an ingredient that plays an interesting role relative to migraine prevention. Chocolate contains caffeine, which in large doses, can actually cause severe headaches, as well as anxiety and irritability. Yuck!
However, in small quantities, that same caffeine can help the body absorb pain medication faster, once a migraine does occur. The solution? If you do feel a headache (or worse) coming on, try a small piece of chocolate. These no-bake treats are the perfect item to keep in your refrigerator any time, as they are a much healthier alternative to a store-bought candy bar!
No-Bake Healthy Chocolate Bars (Makes 8-12 squares)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1½ cups dates, pitted and finely chopped
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Grind the cashews and almonds to a very fine meal, using a food processor or the dry blade of a high-powered blender.
- Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper, and lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Place the meal in a large mixing bowl with the dates, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, shredded coconut, and cinnamon. At this point rub a little bit of coconut oil on your hands and go all in, as this is a really sticky dough, and you will get a lot of resistance trying to work with a spoon. If you have a large food processor, you can also pulse all of the ingredients there, until a ball forms.
- Press the mixture into your baking sheet, extending evenly all the way out to the edges. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until firm.
- Using a double-boiler or a metal mixing bowl set over a pot of boiling water, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Make sure the bowl is not touching the boiling water, and avoid stirring the chips. Once the mixture begins to melt at the edges and the chocolate starts to glisten, remove from the heat. Stir until all of the chocolate is melted, and working quickly, pour over the top of the cashew and almond mixture.
- Refrigerate for an additional hour, until the chocolate has hardened.
- Slice and serve. The bars will last for 2 weeks in the refrigerator, stored in an airtight container.
Are you excited to make this chocolate summer treat?