Looking for a natural pain reliever? Try noshing on some peppermint! The menthol in peppermint has been shown to prevent muscle spasms, and is especially helpful in ridding headaches. In terms of quick and easy recipe ideas, you could make a tea by boiling the peppermint leaves, or you could make this recipe for chimichurri sauce, which also includes turmeric.
Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties that help to protect the body from joint destruction, while preserving proper nerve cell function. The combination of turmeric and peppermint makes for a pain-fighting powerhouse! This sauce recipe will last in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container, for up to three days, and can be served over meat, grains, or vegetables.
Mint Chimichurri Sauce
INGREDIENTS (Makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup (packed) fresh peppermint leaves
- ½ cup (packed) fresh parsley, with stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until pureed. Serve over beef, chicken, shrimp, cooked grains, or vegetables.
What are your favorite sauce recipes for meat?