It can be tempting to reach for the nearest takeout menu, when hunger hits hard. Making your go-to restaurant dishes at home, though, can be just as simple as picking up the phone! This version of fried rice comes together in a matter of minutes, and is a healthier alternative to boot!
Brown rice is high in selenium, which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing arthritis, and certain forms of cancer. It also promotes digestion, and on account of its high fiber content will keep you feeling fuller longer. Broccoli has an impressive nutrient profile with antioxidants and phytochemicals galore, vitamins A and C, and a substantial amount of protein.
You cannot mess this recipe up, so feel free to add additional vegetables to this spin on a takeout classic, or keep it lean, clean, and green for St. Patrick’s Day!
Homemade Green Fried Rice (Serves 2-4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup frozen peas (or fresh if available!)
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce OR low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Place the olive oil in an oven-safe pan set over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, and broccoli to the pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes, just until the onions and celery begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and rice to the pan, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas, tamari and honey. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the rice is slightly crisp at the edges.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the lemon zest.
- Serve immediately.
What’s your favorite healthy take on takeout?