If you have been experiencing knee pain, it could be attributed to lifestyle factors including diet and exercise. One way you can alleviate the pain through your diet, is to add more pineapple into it!
Pineapple is rich in bromelain, a group of enzymes that research has shown can specifically help patients whom have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. This fruit also has a high proportion of vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, which is pivotal in making collagen. Collagen, in turn, keeps your joints strong.
This recipe for a pineapple and ginger (ginger is also a powerful anti-inflammatory agent!) infused rice serves one person, but can easily be multiplied for a crowd. It makes for a satisfying meal on its own, or works as a side dish. The rice can be served warm or at room temperature.
Gingered Pineapple Brown Rice
INGREDIENTS (Serves 1)
For the rice:
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- 2 chopped small green onions (white and green parts)
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the cooked rice, pineapple, red pepper, and onions in a bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a separate bowl, and mix until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture, and serve.
What are your favorite ways to use pineapple in recipes?