Kale, kale, kale, and more kale! It seems as if this superfood is everywhere nowadays; with good reason. Kale is not only versatile in that it can be eaten raw or cooked, but it is also a nutritional powerhouse! Filled with fiber and sulfur, these greens are major detoxifiers. Kale also works as an anti-inflammatory agent, helping to fight arthritis, joint pain, and other auto-immune disorders.
The dressing on this salad ups the anti-inflammatory ante given that the ginger contains compounds called gingerols that are believed to significantly reduce the presence of pain, when consumed regularly. With a hefty dose of fresh garlic too, this dressing has a serious kick. It has so many health benefits though that the only thing you can expect to flare-up when eating it, is your taste buds!
Ginger-Sesame Kale Salad with Toasted Coconut
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
For the dressing:
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- Whisk the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, peanut butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl, until smooth. Add the sesame oil and olive oil to the bowl, and continue whisking until the dressing is thoroughly combined.
- Toss the kale with the dressing in a large bowl, and allow it to set while you toast the coconut.
- Lay the coconut flat on a small pan or piece of tinfoil. Place under a broiler set on high. Toast for approximately 1-2 minutes (watch it, as it will burn quickly!).
- Top the salad with the toasted coconut.
What’s your favorite way to eat kale?