Need a side dish that will pair well with any holiday meal? Try this easy-to-prepare braised red cabbage! Braising is essentially a process by which meat or vegetables are seared at a high temperature and then finished in a cooking liquid at a low temperature. This recipe cuts out the searing altogether as the cabbage simmers in a bath of apple juice (or cider), water, and spices until tender. Serve it alongside pork, steak, or even with noodles for a vegetarian twist.
Red cabbage is also an excellent vegetable to eat at this particularly stressful time of year – especially as cold and flu season sets in – as it contains numerous antioxidants that are wonderful for detoxing and enhancing the immune system.
Braised Red Cabbage (Serves 4-6)
- 1 small red cabbage, with core removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups apple juice (or apple cider)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 small apple, cored, and thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cabbage, onion, apple juice, water, vinegar, and spices in a large Dutch oven pot or baking dish with a lid. Cover and bake for approximately one hour.
- Stir the apples into the mixture, and continue baking for another hour, until the cabbage is tender and the apples have dissolved.
Do you have a favorite cabbage recipe?