Are you lagging or lacking in energy? If so, make like Popeye and eat some spinach! Spinach contains lipoic acid, which plays an important role in energy production, while helping vitamins A and C regenerate.
In this salad recipe, spinach is combined with kale for a double shot of the powerful disease-fighting antioxidant known as beta-carotene. To rev your engines up even more, the greens are topped with fresh strawberries and Medjool dates. Dates are loaded with potassium and magnesium electrolytes that help to support electrical activity in the heart muscles. Because they are also composed of simple sugars that can easily be converted into the glucose that your cells use as energy, dates are an excellent choice when you need a boost!
Berry, Spinach and Date Salad (Serves 2-4)
For the salad:
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup chopped pitted Medjool dates
- (Optional) ¼ cup chopped nuts, such as almonds, pistachios, or walnuts
For the dressing:
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and serve immediately.
- Eat and feel energized!
What’s your favorite springtime salad?