Pesto is a workhorse when it comes to creating simple and healthy meals on the fly. It can be used as a dip, a sandwich spread, mixed into a big bowl of pasta, or made into a cheeseless kale pesto recipe!
This version of pesto is made with kale and walnuts, sans cheese. (Although feel free to add a handful of Parmesan to the finished product, if you wish!) Kale – and any dark leafy greens in general – is incredibly nutrient dense, and helps to fight inflammation throughout the body. Walnuts, meanwhile, are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to support brain function and thereby reduce the symptoms of depression. In short, this is a kale pesto recipe that will make your life easier (and happier) in every way!
Cheeseless Kale Pesto Recipe (Makes 4-6 Servings)
- 1 small bunch Lacinato (“Dinosaur”) OR curly kale
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Remove the tough center stems from the kale leaves and discard. Chop the leaves.
- Lightly massage the kale with a little bit of the olive oil to soften it, before placing it in a blender or a food processor. Add the garlic and walnuts, and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil until the mixture is combined.
- Remove from the processor, and stir in the lemon juice.
- Use as a dip for fresh vegetables, spread onto sandwiches, or mix with pasta for a wholesome meal!
Have you ever tried to make a cheeseless version of pesto?