This is a big salad in more ways than one! The Chinese chicken salad recipe makes a substantial portion so feel free to whip it up for your next summer picnic, or prep it on a Sunday and enjoy the leftovers yourself all week long. The flavors here make a big impact too, with a nutty ginger dressing atop an herbaceous mix.
Chinese chicken salad recipe (serves 2-4)
The Chinese chicken salad recipe includes a handful of edamame beans (immature soybeans located inside of the pod), which in certain studies have been shown to help reduce muscle and joint pain when consumed on a regular basis. The beans are mixed with shredded vegetables and herbs including cilantro and mint leaves. Mint contains menthol; a compound that can prevent muscle spasms and subsequent pain.
For the dressing:
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of salt
For the salad:
- 2 cooked (grilled or roasted) chicken breasts, shredded
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup cooked edamame
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Wonton strips (optional)
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a blender, and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss with the dressing. Top with wonton strips, if desired.
Would you try making this Chinese chicken salad recipe?