There is no need to go trick-or-treating when you can make this candied Brussels sprouts recipe for yourself! This side dish turns the cruciferous vegetable into a decadent and sweet treat laced with coconut oil, maple syrup… and bacon if you so choose. With less than five ingredients and minimal time required to prepare it, this would also be a simple dish to make for a holiday gathering; even for the most novice cook.
Candied Brussels sprouts recipe
Brussels sprouts are high in fiber, meaning that eating them will fill you up fast while keeping you feeling fuller, longer. In addition, they are loaded with vitamins including B1, B6, C, and K. Consider these sprouts small but mighty!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- If using the bacon, place in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon pieces until crisp, and remove from the pan. Set aside. Discard any excess oil.
- (If not using the bacon, begin with this step). Melt the coconut oil in the skillet (set over medium-high heat). Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan and cook, stirring often, for approximately 10 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Add the maple syrup, thyme, and salt & pepper to the pan. Cook the Brussels sprouts for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the syrup is thick and sticky. Serve immediately. Garnish with the reserved cooked bacon, if using.
Would you make this candied Brussels sprouts recipe? Find all of our pain-friendly recipes here.