When you think of mashed potatoes, you likely think of eating them swimming in a pool of rich gravy. And while that preparation is indeed delicious, it’s not exactly the healthiest, either. This recipe is an alternative to the former, “fortified” with broccoli to make a scrumptious broccoli mashed potatoes recipe. Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins, potassium, and dietary fiber.
“Fortified” Broccoli Mashed Potatoes Recipe (Makes 4 Servings)
Small amounts of butter (or ghee or even coconut oil, if you like!) and cheese are added to the potatoes and broccoli, for extra flavor in this broccoli mashed potatoes recipe. With additions like that, who needs gravy?
- 4 medium-size white potatoes
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons ricotta chees OR cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, with just enough water to cover and bring to a boil, over high heat. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender (about 8-10 minutes, depending upon the size of your potatoes). Once the potatoes are tender, add the broccoli to the pot, and cook for an additional minute, just until the broccoli turns a vibrant green. Drain.
- Place the potatoes and broccoli in a large bowl, and using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Add the butter and the cheese, and continue to mash until incorporated. Stir in the dill, salt and pepper, to taste. Serve as is, or portion into individual (oven-safe) bowls, and place under the broiler until the top is browned – about 2-3 minutes.
What are your thoughts on this broccoli mashed potatoes recipe?