Tacos: crispy fried shells, filled with greasy seasoned beef, shredded cheese and lettuce, and topped with a dollop of sour cream. This description might be the first that comes to mind when you think of tacos, but there are actually a number of other ways to fill a tortilla shell that are better for you. This braised beef tacos recipe uses an inexpensive cut of beef, simmered until tender in a broth made from soy sauce, stock, honey, garlic, and ginger. Ginger is even an anti-inflammatory that can aid in the treatment of chronic pain!
Braised beef tacos recipe with pickled slaw (serves 2-4)
The braised beef tacos recipe here are topped with a pickled slaw that contains apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar can be used as an agent for detoxing, proper digestion, and weight loss. In addition, the slaw will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. The longer it sits, the more it will ferment. Fermented foods are essential to gut health, and again, have the potential to help with weight loss while keeping you feeling full!
For the beef:
- 1 ½ pound chuck roast
- 1 onion, quartered
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium beef stock
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
For the pickled slaw:
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced baby cucumbers
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- To make the braised beef tacos recipe: Place all of the ingredients in a large Dutch oven, or a Crock-Pot. If using a Dutch oven, bring the mixture to a boil, and set over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for approximately 3-4 hours until the beef is fall-apart tender. If using a Crock-Pot, cook for 3-4 hours on the “High” setting or 8-9 hours on the “Low” setting, until the beef is fall-apart tender.
- To make the pickled slaw: Place the cabbage, carrots, and cucumbers in a large glass jar and set aside. Place the vinegar, water, honey, salt and pepper in a small pot set over high heat. Heat, stirring, just until the honey has dissolved. Pour the warm water over the vegetables and set aside until serving.
- To serve: Remove the beef from the cooking liquid and shred using two forks. Top corn tortillas with the shredded beef, a spoonful of the cooking liquid, and the pickled slaw.
Are you going to try to cook this braised beef tacos recipe?