If you suffer from knee pain, regardless of the reason why, finding comfortable shoes is a challenging task. Fortunately, you’re not alone! We’ve compiled a list of the best shoes for knee pain, from running shoes to dress shoes and beyond. We also include tips on what shoes not to wear if you’re suffering from pain in your knees.
How can you find the best shoes for knee pain?
There are a few really great resources available to help you pick a shoe that will manage your pain, beyond the tips in this post. You can ask:
- Your doctor: They may not have all the answers, but they understand your condition, and should be able to give you some recommendations for shoes that meet your needs.
- An athletic store: Some athletic stores offer a custom shoe finding service. These services measure your feet and their specialists help pair you with the perfect shoe for you by looking at your gait and more.
- An orthopedic specialist: Your doctor may refer you to an orthopedic specialist to help relieve your knee pain. This specialist should be able to provide you with additional resources and recommendations for the best shoe for you.
Factors for finding the best shoes for knee pain
Things to know before you find your new favorite shoe:
- Know your condition: Whether it’s gout, degenerative arthritis, or chondromalacia, you can’t pick the perfect shoe without understanding your diagnoses
- Know your lifestyle: Do you need a running shoe? A casual shoe? Does your job keep you on your feet all day? The best shoe for you should help manage your pain and meet your lifestyle needs.
- Know your style: Do you dress up or down? Do you like bright colors or a more muted palate? Find a shoe that fits your preferences and you’ll love it (and wear it!) even more.
What shoes should you avoid with knee pain?
The wrong shoe can cause additional problems and aggravation of existing conditions, so it’s important that you select the right shoe if you suffer from knee pain. These are the types of shoes to avoid if you’re suffering from knee pain:
- Clogs, as they put extra pressure on the knee
- Barefoot shoes, sure these “gloves for your feet” mimic that barefoot feel, but they offer zero support for your knees
- High heels since shoes with a heel are bad for everyone’s knees, and must be avoided if you have knee pain
- Extra supportive shoes, because there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and too much support impairs the natural movement of your foot, which is needed to properly support your knee
Finding the best shoes for knee pain
The shoes in the following list are some of the best for knee pain, but they may not be the best for you.
Picking a shoe that fits your needs is highly personal, so be sure to do your research and consult your doctor to make sure that you find a shoe that meets your needs.
Note: PainDoctor.com does not endorse, nor do we make any money off the sale of these products. This information is provided for the benefit of patients based on patient reviews. Always ask your doctor if you have questions.
4 of the overall best shoes for knee pain
If you need an everyday shoe that you can walk in, but also wear out to the store or at work or while around the house, these might the best option for you.