Creamed corn is exactly that: a mixture of sweet corn and heavy cream that has typically been enhanced with bacon fat, butter and sugar, or some combination thereof. While this soul food staple is delicious, it is also laden with fat. You can still achieve a similar flavor though by using a milk base instead of a cream one, and omitting all of the extras, to create this baked creamed corn recipe.
Baked creamed corn recipe with greens (serves 4-6)
This baked creamed corn recipe is fortified with greens. Choose your favorite: chard, kale, spinach, or even collards! It also has more texture to it than traditional versions on account of a cheesy breadcrumb topping. If you want to make this baked creamed corn recipe ahead of time, you can prep the creamed corn all the way to the point of baking, cover and refrigerate, and pop it in the oven once you’re ready to eat. Serve it alongside a piece of grilled chicken or steak for a complete meal!
- 2 cups chopped fresh chard, kale, or spinach (or a combination of all 3!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups fresh (cut off of the cob) or frozen sweet corn
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the greens in the pot, and cook for approximately 2 minutes, until they are bright green and slightly tender. Drain, removing as much moisture as possible, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet, set over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan, and cook, stirring, for approximately 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes, until lightly browned.
- Slowly add the milk to the pan (about ½ cup at a time), and stir using a whisk. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the greens and sweet corn to the pan and stir to combine.
- Top with the dried thyme, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the sweet corn mixture is bubbling and the breadcrumbs have browned. Serve immediately.
What would you serve with this baked creamed corn recipe?