Worth a try.

Discussion in 'Nerve Blocks' started by Cindi Roberts, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Cindi Roberts

Cindi Roberts Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nerve blocks come in so many different forms. I was so scared the first time I was to get one. As I laid on the table watching this xray machine move my stomach started turning. My doctor informed me I was getting a bee sting. To be honest that was more painful then the actual nerve block.\
    When I started getting them they didn't give you anything to keep you calm. Now most pain doctors will have you take something before you go in or when you get there they will sedate you so you don't feel anything.

Your pain will increase for a few days after the injection but normally you will find some relief for a few months. So if they offer it to you its worth a try. It made it so I went from taking 6 tablets of pain meds down to taking 1 or maybe 2 a day for 3 months.

2. marianna26

marianna26 New Member

The first set I had. ..1 spinal epidural, facet injections on both sides gave limited to almost no relief. Going to do another epidural with sedation and see if that changes my results

3. Cindi Roberts

Cindi Roberts Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My pain doctor told me that every once and awhile an injection doesn't take the first time.

I have had a lot of injections and every once and awhile I have an injection that doesn't work, nevertheless the second one normally will work. I would give it another chance before giving up on the injections. Before you have the second injection go over a few things/ Talk to your doctor about what meds were used on the last injection, maybe they can try a different medication. If after the second epidural doesn't work and you have tried both types of medication then its time to try injections in the facet joints. Again this is trial by error. It might work the first time and then you know exactly what injections will work but like the epidural the injections for the facet joints may need a two time procedure to know that it works. After you have had two epidural and two facet joints and they don't work then you know injections are just not a procedural that will work for you. Good luck and I hope you get the best results that you can get.