Why Isn't Anyone Talking about the Positive Effects of Opiods?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by kkayy, Jan 31, 2016.

1. kkayy

kkayy New Member

Over the past several years I have heard more than ever before about opiods/ prescription drug abuse/people over-dosing from opiods and other like prescription drugs/ politicians campaigning against opiods, doctors complaining they are very limited in treating their pain patients, etc. etc. It certainly sounds like a war against opiods, pain management doctors and legitimate pain patients.

I understand there are people who don't need these type of drugs. I understand there are people who over - dose and all that other stuff.

There will always be these things that happen. But why is there never anything said about the positive effects these drugs have on legitimate pain patients who other wise would not have any quality of life?

OKHighlander and Jordy like this.
  2. isla sam fisher

isla sam fisher New Member

X-raytechnology is one thing that has undergone radical change in dentistry over the years. X-rays are a primary tool in theidentification and treatment of cavities, impacted wisdom teeth and avariety of other dental health treatments, Mark Walker dentist.

3. Helen Kasia

Helen Kasia New Member

I believe that the correct use of Opioids with Pain Management can be of great benefit to Pain Sufferers but there are many side effects and downsides to the use of Opiods, including dependence, addiction and they can cause additional Health Problems.

Since 2010, Drug Companies have been selling Opiods to Doctors and Hospitals, initially stating medications such as OxyContin is less addictive and easier to come off with no withdrawal. However, over time Doctors found these types of drugs to be more addictive and cause withdrawal than the Drug Companies Claimed. Overall, there are many people who abuse Prescription drugs but those that are addicted are completely different to those who are dependant on those medications.

In many Chronic Pain Sufferers Opiods drugs are the only way they can get through the day and do certain activities and these drugs are of great benefit to those people. However, it is a balancing act as your body does become dependant on the medication and you can have quite severe withdrawal effects. People also tend to become accustomed to the dose they are on and thus they have to increase their dose to get the same effect on the same medication as their body's tolerance to the drug changes over time.

I believe that medication used properly and supervised by doctors can be of great benefit and can help people with pain live a better quality of life. However, in the media there are always stories of people dying to improper use of these drugs so you are more likely to hear about the negative effects of these drugs in the Media as opposed to the Positive and Beneficial effects many Pain Sufferers can achieve. There are always positive and negatives when taking medication so making sure of all the details and outcomes before taking this type of medication can help.

Many people also are quite judgemental of people on these types of medications even when they are being prescribed by a doctor for legitimate and medical reasons. Also if you are on these types of medications in the UK you need to have your repeat prescription slips with you if you drive in particular because the Law regarding driving whilst being on these types of medication has changed.

I hope this helps. X

4. onlineorganicfoods

onlineorganicfoods New Member

First of all, can you discuss how this area of Canada compares with other parts of the country you’ve perhaps lived in? Dr. Paul Lubitz: Of course. When I first moved to Canmore, one of the more impressionable differences that I noticed in the people in Bow River Valley is that, at least compared to other parts of the country, the people here really value the idea of living a balanced life.

5. Julie

Julie New Member

I for one am hoping the overdosing on Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and Aleve will call some attention to those of us being denied quality of life. Still following the rules the doctor sets down, unwilling to go to black market I suffer. I have suicidal thoughts on the bad days I just know Vicodin helps, I would take it when needed, then not take it when not needed. I never had withdrawals, i could go weeks without needing it. I have a kid to finish raising, I have a life I can almost enjoy, but pain levels of 6 at all times, and unchartable when Flaring, make that hard to do. I can't always just stop and cry for a few days. And those days it's hard to keep focused. I hope for some day the ban on narcotics for those with Chronic Pain will end.

OKHighlander likes this.