Pictures of me in ICU & X-rays

Discussion in 'Condition, Injury PHOTOS (Warning, Graphic)' started by Debbie Karper, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

A picture paints a thousands words and helps to see what you don't say, so here you can see what I might have missed with words in my introductory.
    Brief info here, but the full story is in the forum "Introductory", "It was a beautiful day.".... On this site.
    February 20, 2011 I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle.
    My left foot was between my bike and his car. I have over 28 pieces of metal in my left foot now.
    My right arm broke up and down I now have a metal plate in it with 21 screws.
    Both femurs exploded on the handle bars, I had my feet on the highway pegs and flew straight up on impact, bring the handle bars straight up. I now have rods in both femurs.
    I have a bar in my right hip, it was fractured
    I work 40 hours a week in an office, went back to work 3 months after my accident, many mornings I have cried as I got dressed to go to work in pain but I have to keep moving. :)
    I am in chronic pain and my life is forever altered due to this accident, i go to a pain management clinic and was advised by my doctor to find a support group, so I found Dr. Paul Lynch's "Chronic Pain Support Group " page on Facebook and I have been a member for over a year I have to admit I was totally oblivious to chronic pain and the whole world of those that suffer with it, until I was thrown in it that day in 2011.

Attached Files:

Connie RN, Tonya, Angel and 2 others like this.
  2. Nicolle

Nicolle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Debbie i'm amazed by your strength!

Connie RN, jenwebb and Debbie Karper like this.
  3. jenwebb

jenwebb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As a nurse, I can look at those and say, "Oh, that wound tissue seems to be granulating well," or something like that. Having been on the other side of the white hat and hose, I say "OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Impressive that you are walking and working. Totally impressive.

Connie RN and Debbie Karper like this.
  4. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

The wound picture was after a skin graph surgery. Which I had without anthestics, I hate meds! The plastic surgeon asked me if I was sure I wanted to have the procedure without going under and I told him, most definitely because I am going shopping after this ! Iat one point I even laughed because they hit a funny nerve when they were drilling the area. They gave me 16 shots around the wound felt like bee stings no big deal! I loved it when my family came back to recovery to see me and I opened my eyes real big and said let's go shopping !!! I still had to be in a wheelchair and remained in a wheelchair for a coule more months. I may post the exposed tendon of what it looked like before plastic surgery later

5. Charlotte Elmore

Charlotte Elmore Member

Debbie it is amazing that you have been through all that you have and you are still working. that is a lot of surgeries and lots of metal you have. I am so sorry, that must be very painful. you are a strong person :)

Connie RN and Debbie Karper like this.
  6. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

This was the exposed tendon before the surgery

Attached Files:

7. moonstar

moonstar New Member

Wow, you are a strong woman! What a terrible accident and I'm reading you worked throughout this? Amazing!

Debbie Karper likes this.
  8. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

Yes, I went back to work 3 months after my accident (40 hours a wk . and I have missed 5 days of work in the past 3 years due to the pain being so bad I'll admit I have taken cry breaks because the pain just got to me, but I am determined to work as long as I can it is another type of distraction for me I'm thankful its office work.
    Stay strong and stay positive you never know what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it and believe me pain can mess with my minde at time...

jenwebb likes this.
  9. kimmiegwiz

kimmiegwiz New Member

You are an inspiration to me. Keep smiling, amazing woman!

Connie RN likes this.
  10. patsy barrett

patsy barrett New Member

Why didn't they screw your left femur better? It looks like a couple of big pieces of bone are just hanging out.

11. Noel

Noel New Member

WOW WOW AND DOUBLE WOW!!!!! i would give almost anything to have your pain tolerance. i have had my injuries but nothing like this. my pain is so bad its like someone running their nails down a chalkboard. my muscles get so tight on my left side. My ankle and knee ache. i have a severe ache around my tailbone and in my left butt cheek up to my illiac crest. my left arm get tight and my hand has trouble holding things. I always wondered if the ability to focus or have something that your really enjoy to do like a hobby or job allows they brain to block out the pain naturally. With everything i have been through i still play softball as many as 50 games a year and i don't hurt anywhere near as much when i am. I love my friends the exercise the fun but then there is my job its boring i feel like i am going no where and my boss is a micro manager that always gives me responsibilities then takes them away from me some how and never gives them back. you must have a great job or at least one you enjoy.

12. OKHighlander

OKHighlander New Member

I am utterly in awe of your ability to withstand the pain this must cause you. And then you still work! I had to quit my office job.. :( I was either in extreme pain (sitting in office chairs, no matter what kind aggravates my IC enormously), or taking my pain meds. but then being unable to concentrate on my work (accounts payable) which would cause me errors that risked my job anyways. Just a no-win situation.

13. Keith Bruce

Keith Bruce New Member

Hi, Debbie how are you now? Did you get relief from pain?