Hello. I am new and I don't know what is happening with me.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself (Tell Your Story)' started by khaennel, Sep 11, 2017.

1. khaennel

khaennel New Member

What I have been going though has been going on for longer than a month now. This is not the first time I have tried to reach out for help. I'll cut and paste what I have already written and add updates where needed.

I am 49 years old. College educated. Am told that I have a gift for writing. But I have had increasing memory issues for a number of years now. I have eventually found myself jobless and living with a friend and her daughter. I'm not sure if it was an invisible sign that only employers can see, but I have not even been able to get a job as a bell ringer during the holidays. Combine that with my trouble with recalling things, the severe migraines, and the periods of confusion to the point of not being able to recognize my surroundings, has made the job search even harder. Naturally, I do not have any medical insurance. Which feeds into the whole issues of diagnosis for the various problems. Historically, I do not drink, smoke, or take anything but over the counter drugs.

Over a month ago, or there about, I started getting an odd pain in my lower back on the left side. I tried using a heating pad but the pain spread. Then It then wrapped around to my stomach and lower ribs. It was an intense and shooting pain that left a trail of skin that had a markedly reduced sensitivity to touch in its wake. Over the following days, the right side started hurting as well---with a similar effect on the skin---and it even spread up to the inner arms and left my underarms unable to perceive touch. Scratching any itch was futile.

Meanwhile, the pain spread up though the back almost like the spreading of ink on a pane of glass. Not muscle group to muscle group like in the case of a severe strain. The pain became so intense I started experiencing nausea and vomiting that I finally asked a friend to take me to an emergency room at a hospital that her daughter had good experiences with. It was a little out of the way but far better than the closest hospital. There, they gave me something for the nausea and morphine for the pain. Though that only knocked the pain down a couple clicks. I was still writhing on the bed they had me in. They ran tests and could find nothing wrong. Eventually they wrote me a prescription for some pain pills that I had never heard of and sent me on my way.

The next few days were still pain filled, despite the pills. And, when the anti-nausea shot wore off, I was back to trying to empty my stomach, whether anything was in there or not. The pills did not help in this respect as they had a much higher incidents of nausea than others of that class. I still was experiencing severe pain, though I was taking the pills on schedule with a hope that they were at least keeping worse pain away. Eventually they ran out and I just had to deal.

This is also when I was looking to try to get to a community clinic. Sadly, their hours meant that I could not get a ride from my friend nor could I even manage the walk with the shape I was in. The pain continued to build and spread alarmingly across the chest. Reading online, I was hitting more than half the symptoms of an imminent heart attack. With that, late thursday night/early friday morning my friend took me back to emergency room a second time. This was as Harvey was heading to the coast.

This time, the doctor admitted me to take a closer look at the heart and, upon my explaining that the morphine of the last visit did not do much, gave me hydromorphone. The difference was like night and day and I could actually provide as many details as I could to the staff and my friend was on hand to fill any gaps that my memory issues left out.

They kept me on the hydromorphone on a six hour schedule. Depending on my pain level, which seemed to run in cycles, it would keep me mostly pain free for three to seven hours, though it never went completely away and getting rest was difficult. However it would eventually always come back. And I would be writhing and largely unintelligible until they could get more in me. The heart is what they were concerned about, though. And they did everything but take it out for a hands on look at it. And they said it was fine. By then, I had almost wished that they had found something. At least, I would have a reason for what I was going through. On saturday, with one last shot for the road, they called a cab and sent me home just before the worst of the storm hit.

I was fine for the rest of the day. That night, however, the pain came and there was nothing I could do. Advil did nothing, by that point. I endured it that night, though I got little sleep. The next night, we lost power in the apartment. I managed the next time, as well. Though it was as pleasant as you might imagine. The next night, however, the pain flared badly. So much so, I was hoping that I would just die for a bit of relief. Laying back, writhing in pain, in a dark hot apartment eventually became too much. I am not sure how I managed, but I forced myself to leave the apartment and head to the complex laundry room where my friend and her daughter had camped out. It still had power and AC and had set up a charging station for other resident's cell phones. I staggered in and promptly half collapsed and half lay down on the floor.

My friend and her daughter did what they could for me. But it was another resident that came in and, having taken one look at me as I was experiencing shortness of breath, vertigo to the point of vomiting, and the severe pain, called an ambulance. She stayed with me until they eventually arrived. And, they said that there was nothing that they could determine was wrong and, since all the hospitals were on lock down, could not take me anywhere in any case. The doctor they contacted did suggest upping the intake of advil to 800mg every 8 hours. Eventually the pain cycled downward enough that I could move around after a fashion. Though I was still very dizzy and the pain across my chest never went away.

part one.

2. khaennel

khaennel New Member

Part two.

The next nights were a repeat of that. Though with an added twist that caused me to make a mistake. I have known for a while that, when you are in enough pain, you will do anything to try and relieve it. I've even filched the cat's catnip for a tea to try and relieve the migraine pain. So when a fellow resident who was there to charge their phone, that I had previously not known, offered to make me a canna-butter sandwich to try and help with the pain and nausea. I agreed after my friend's daughter explained what that was. All I can say is that I was too long out of college and I was never into that scene when I was.

Initially, it did not help. And I really did not like the side effects. But afterwards, while I was not pain free, I did not have a flare for over 48 hours. Despite it, I was thankful for that.

Fast forward to when we were finally back in the apartment with the power back on. The flare that I had then was the worst I have had so far. It lasted all night. Around 5am, so I have been told, my friend came out and decided that I had to go to the hospital. Thinking back, I do recall the paramedics. But I can recall nothing about getting to the hospital or even what hospital I was at. I do recall trying to answer questions and not doing a very good job at it. I think I recall a doctor telling me that he would come back when I felt like answering. Based on his later comments, I think that might have actually happened.

Eventually, I started coming out of the pain enough to realize I was not at clear lake regional, which I had thought I was at. Turned out that I was at the nearest hospital to where I lived. The one I try to avoid. Also, the name was wrong on my wrist tag and they seemed unwilling to do anything about the pain. Though I was there for hours, I can only recall a fraction of that. They did give me two tylenol for pain in lieu of the test results. Which is not something the other hospital had waited for. Eventually, the doctor came back in and told me that I was being released as he could find nothing wrong with me and that he had spent too much of his time checking to begin with. He then brought up the marijuana that he believed that I had smoked and all but said I was a pill chaser and a druggy to boot. I tried to explain about the offered sandwich and the circumstances, but there was no explaining. He did prescribe a potassium tablet as the tests revealed I was a bit low. I guess he was doing the minimum he was required while telling me that I was a waste of his time.

And, still in more than a bit of pain, I was directed to the exit. More than a little upset of my treatment, I just wanted out of there. My friend was not there. And, as I was there with only what I was wearing that previous night, I could not even call my friend for a ride since I cannot recall either the street address or phone number. So I started a staggered walk home. I had to ask directions to a major street. But I did made it further than I expected before the pain became too much. I ended up laying down on the sidewalk that had a bit of shade. Between the pain and the rapid breathing, I was hardly aware of a driver stopping to check on me. When I was roused enough to try and sit up, I was surprised to see that he was one of two drivers who had stopped.

That I had come from a hospital was readily apparent with my wrist band, barely clotted puncture where the IV was inserted, and the release papers, tenuously clutched. I was still almost floored that the driver of the yellow cab offered to take me the rest of the way home free of charge. I arrived back only a few minutes before my friend and her daughter were about to leave to come check on me.

So now I am here. Typing this up in hope that I can get some help. The only thing that is keeping the pain from being completely unbearable is the kava kava that my friend got for me. (herbal muscle relaxer and sedative) I am about at the end of my rope. I seriously would rather die than continue with this. Especially since the flares seem to be increasing in intensity. But I am now labeled as a pill chaser and a drug user. Despite the records at the first hospital showing that I was drug free until the middle of Harvey. Already it is getting really hard to concentrate and I really have no idea what to do. My friend and her daughter can only do so much and I am forever grateful to them.

Sorry for the two part. It would not let me exceed the 10k character limit.