Do I have a choice?

Discussion in 'Spinal Cord Stimulation' started by Debbie Karper, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Would you have it done? If you did, how are the results

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. If Yes, please explain why you would or how you like it if you had it done

100.0%
  3. Need more information

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

I go to a Pain Clinic for chronic pain as a result from a serious motorcycle accident. I have lots of metal in my body and my bones hurt terribly bad at times and other times the pain is managed with pain meds. My pain doctor visits a site near my home a couple times through the week. I said that to say this, I had an appointment near my home and his partner was a neurologist and strongly suggested I have the spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back. He was adamant about my having this procedure, so adamant that I was considering another pain clinic and he told me if I ever asked to go up on my pain meds that he would stop treating me.
    When I told my regular pain doctor my experience he explained that his partner was a neurological doctor.
    The other day I received a phone call from the pain clinic, and they were having a meeting to discuss the stimulator with any of the patients that would be interested... Press one if you will attend and 2 if you are not interested, I pressed 2.
    My reasons; 1- I would have to miss work but more importantly 2- I have no back injuries and my back is the only part of me along with my head,, that was not injured during my accident. I am not willing to have cables run down my back when I already have metal rods in both femurs, over 28 pieces of metal in my left foot, a 12 inch plate in my right arm with 21 screws and a bar in my right hip. I work 40 hours a week with the help of break through pain meds that minimize the pain enough that I can function as normal as possible and I don't want a remote control vibrator inserted in my back to complicate my life any more than it already is.
    I have read reviews and the negatives out weighs the positives including high chances of infection...
    Who can see their back to take proper care of the incision, can you lay on your back? What if they hit a nerve while inserting it and you get paralyzed,,,,
    Is this procedure just a money scam? has it ever worked for anyone, long term and could it be removed after permanently inserted?
    If I refuse this procedure does my pain doctor have the right to stop treating me with meds?
    My insurance is impeccable but I don't want the surgery.

2. Steve Sliker

Steve Sliker Admin/Moderator

Check out this video.

Debbie Karper likes this.
  3. Steve Sliker

Steve Sliker Admin/Moderator

The above video is Dr. Lynch performing this procedure on a patient who had a shotgun wound. The patient indicated he had 60-70% less pain after he had this procedure done. I say go for it!

4. algosdoc

algosdoc New Member

Feel free to ask questions....I implant these devices. No one should be forced to have any surgery.

5. Debbie Karper

Debbie Karper New Member

Thank you for sharing this. Dr. Lynch makes it look like a much easier procedure than I thought it was.

6. algosdoc

algosdoc New Member

The trial takes 15 min. The implants usually take 50-90 minutes and involve at least 2 incisions and sometimes open spine surgery.

7. Ella7

Ella7 New Member

Hi ..I know this is an older post..I wonder how your doing now..long story short..I was talked into this stimulator during a time where my pain made me very vulnerable and hopeless..I was desperate..these companies have very good sales people!! They act like they are your best friends and then as soon as the surgery is over one never hears from them again...can't even get a hold of my representative anymore..the surgery is not fun..not fun at all....once your healed you kind of forget about a machine being in your back .though you still have restrictions and once in a while I get tired of ' charging myself up'' for me though ..with my problems I don't think I would be alive without it...it blocks a good percentage of the pain..not my sharp pain though and I have to turn it off at night..I just can't sleep with it on..I wish I could...