Diabetic Neuropathy.

Discussion in 'Foot Pain' started by Detritus, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Detritus

Detritus New Member

Hi, I suffer with Diabetic neuropathy in both feet. On "good days" my feet are numb, no feeling, but most of the time they feel as though I`m walking on open sores/cuts. I was given Gabapentin ( an Epilepsy drug) to help with this, for some reason it "blocks" pain signals to a certain extent. I take a double dose at night to combat the fiery pains that seem to predominate at that time. I try not to let the pain stop me from walking in nature with my dog, it would be all too easy to give in though..... I`d love an uninterrupted nights sleep but don`t want an opiate to knock me out, tried that, felt like a zombie. Anyone out there coping with this?

2. Cindi Roberts

Cindi Roberts Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I don't have Neuropathy but my Dad did so know from the look in his eyes how painful it can be. Have you tried Lyica? I know many that have tried that and have had good luck. I would also, if you have a facebook page consider joining Chronic Pain Support Group. Its another part of paindoctor.com Its a huge group of people internationally that deal with all sorts of pain. I am so glad you came here looking for help and hope you find what you are looking for.

3. painmuse

painmuse New Member

4. Robyn Shillito

Robyn Shillito New Member

Hello, I just joined this site and hope to find some support.I am 21 years old and my pc doc told me I have diabetic nueropathy. I have had several blood test done and everything is coming back normal, blood sugar levels are normal. He prescribed me metanx which doesn't seem to be making a difference. I have gone to 3 different podiatrist and had an MRI of both feet. The MRI didn't show anything abnormal. I am now being seen my a neurologist. It's is severely painful for me to stand, I now use a mobile wheelchair cart when I have to go grocery shopping. Although I am in so much pain I like to stay moderately active, and also go for short walks. I do a lot of research online and think I may have eyrthromelalgia. My feet get very hot and red when I am outside and very cold and blueish color when my body is cold. The pain started about a year and a half ago, and since then the viens and arteries in my feet and legs are very visible and look very unhealthy. The pain is mostly around my heel and achillies. In the past 8 moths both of my knees have become very painful too ( right foot and knee more painful). I am going to have a nerve conduction study done. Do these symptoms sound like diabetic nueropothy? Thank you for your help. God bless

5. BIRDLEGS

BIRDLEGS New Member

ROBYN, Do you remember taking an antibiotic shortly before your symptoms started? Sounds like you are suffering from fluoroquinolone toxicity..(Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox etc) there are a few facebook sites devoted to it. Do some reading and maybe you will find some answers there. Also, Neuropathy facebook and small fiber neuropathy facebook. The other test you should definitely have is a punch biopsy. A neurologist orders this. It will diagnose small fiber neuropathy and vasculitis and a few other conditions that have similar symptoms. Good luck

6. sparks

sparks New Member

numbness in feet has been going on for years now, i got used to it. but get well

7. Mustang Cindy

Mustang Cindy New Member

8. Mustang Cindy

Mustang Cindy New Member

@Robyn Shillito,
    I'm sorry that your going through pain , I hope this will help you
    I just joined this site today. When I read about your symptoms of your feet turning colors, red and blue I knew I had to reply to your post.

I have a condition called Raynaud's, which my feet and hands turn colors, from white when my feet or hands are cold, to a dusty blue to a red color when the are warm.

You may want to have your doctor check you for Raynaud's, there are two different tyoes of Raynaud's. I've had MNRaynaud's most of my adult life, I'm now 59 years old.

I used to work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons as a Correctional Officer, I worked for them for 16 years. After 911 happened we housed some of the terrorists in our facility, since ours was a federal facility and it was located here in San Diego.

I believe the added stress is what caused my Raynaud's to go out of control. Suddenly I started getting ulcerations on my feet, they are extremely painful. It's hard to wear shoes when I have the ulcerations on my feet.

I continued to work even though it was so horribly painful, every step I took was pure agony. In 2001 I went to 48 different doctor appointments, with very little help. My PC doctor tried all kinds of Nsaids on me, he tried all kinds of none narcotic meds on me. As well as many other things were tried on me.
    The pain seemed to go right over everything he gave me. It wasn't until 2003 when I ended up in the hospital due to my pain that I finally was given pain meds. At my very worst I was only getting 10 hours of sleep per week.

My doctor put me on Percocet 5/325 the lowest dose possible. When I finally medically retired in 2005 my doctor also put me on morphine extended release. He raised up the dose of the morphine once since then, so I take 45mg 2 x a day.
    I don't expect to be totally pain free, but often my pain is still horrible. Whenever the weather is damp due to rain, fog and humidity my pain is worse. Cold temps cause me a lot of pain, even a slight breeze can make me feel like I'm freezing. Have your doctor check you for Raynaud's, it's a disease of the small blood vessels. The small blood vessels go into spasms and shut down the blood supply until your hands or feet or other extremities when they become cold. Stress/ strong emotions also play a factor with this disease.

More women than men are affect by this disease. There is no cure for this disease. I have more days than not where my pain goes right over the top of my pain meds, especially when it's supposed to rain. I usually know a week and a half before that it's going to rain, my feet feel as though gas was poured on them and they we're lit up with a blow torch. My feet burn for the entire week and a half even if the rain passes us by. Once the rain starts the burning sensation stops and I'm able to handle the pain via my meds.

God bless you, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My daughter's name is Robyn too. Take care, I hope you get the help you need.

9. wegas

wegas New Member

I also suffered a foot pain because of an injury which is happened during a play football but I'm fine now . but I still love to play football so now im playing football and also watching the
    Afcon 2017

soccer tournament

10. wegas

wegas New Member

11. Janicecollado

Janicecollado New Member

I had seen the foot pain suffered by my grandpaa years ago. It just made him out of mind while in pain. My father took him to different doctors but at last my grandpaa was relaxed after getting a massage. So i would suggest first to try massage if it doesn't works then you can go for some other options.
    I also know a neck massager which helps you to get relief from every sort of neck pain. If interested you can try once. https://massageandspaclub.com/best-neck-massager/