a bad flare up

Discussion in 'Arthritis' started by Tina Logsdon, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Tina Logsdon

Tina Logsdon New Member

Over the past week I have been experiencing a massive increase in my pain. It includes most of my joints, but has hit my neck and my knees the worst. The pain in my knees is radiating into my thighs and lower legs. The pain in my neck is radiating into my right shoulder predominantly and down the back of my arm. I am unable to take any NSAIDS due to chronic hemorrhagic gastritis. I have lipoma tumors on my spinal cord. I also have ongoing problems swallowing, secondary to nerve compression in c-spine. I currently take Norco, gabopentin, flexeril and a plethora of other medications. My question to anyone wishing to answer is "how do you tell your family to stop giving unwanted advice? " my sister's, who are the only ones left in my family, keep telling me to find someone who will operate on my entire back, and get back to work as a nurse. They think my 40 years in the healthcare industry as a bedside nurse isn't enough time working. One of them even mentioned my taking their tax dollars for my SSDI, like I didn't pay anything in. Please, tell me how to tell them, I just need someone to listen, not preach. I have tried the gentle way and it didn't work. Both got defensive and angry. And then yelled some more. Help please.

2. Jon Aumann

Jon Aumann New Member

HI Tina, I often have the same problem. I try to educate about RD every time I'm with my friends and family. I've taught half of my church to do a RD handshake, so that they don't hurt me when shaking hands.

It takes patience on your part and listening on theirs. I wish there was a magic bullet but there's not.. Hugs.

3. Tina Logsdon

Tina Logsdon New Member

Thank you Jon. I am amazed at the compassion I am seeing. So far all of you are wonderful.

4. jenwebb

jenwebb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's hard to go from being the caregiver to the one who needs care. What our family and friends do not realize is that while it may be hard for them, it is even harder for US. We have to face things with all of the medical knowledge we have, the loss of that fulfillment we got from our work, the part of our self that was our identity as a nurse, and the added stigma and scrutiny we receive due to "knowing the right things to say" to doctors to get whatever we want (if THAT were the case, we'd have gotten that cure about 100 years ago), etc.

5. Charlene R Patsko

Charlene R Patsko New Member

This replies sound like the conversations I have with my cat George. He must be the best educated cat alive. He'll sit for a long time and listen to me complain about how no one quite understands how much it hurts. Then on top of the constant pain in my low back, I'm dealing with type 2 diabetes. I'm having som trouble again with lows, even after stoping one of my metformin. I'm going to email the doctor and see what she thinks we should do. 3 times last week and once already today. Not real low just into the low 60s but but I know it happening before I check. I understand how you hurt. I'm not important right now you are. What is your favorite way to be pampered? I like the smell of lavender. Hubby will put the noise machine on low, put he cats out the room, let me have the big bed for the night and put lavender oil in a warming pot. It really is very sweet, does wonder for the head. Tell the rest of them it's none of their business.

6. Christina

Christina New Member

I haven't been officially diagnosed with arthritis, but I strongly believe that I have it. When the weather changes omg I can feel it in my joints. I just recently went out and got a heating blanket and it has helped me a lot. I wish you the best!

7. Charlotte Elmore

Charlotte Elmore Member

people don't understand pain unless they have it also. I lived with my mom and never really understood her pain until, I too had pain. I don't think your family will "get it" either. I have chosen to not go around certain family members for this very reason. Stress makes my pain worse and I do not need or want that. No one does. that makes me laugh (ok not laugh, but it will work for now) about your SSDI. they really don't know what the truth is about that, do they. Hope your family comes around and starts understanding.